As we commit to grow in godliness, prayer is an essential discipline that redirects our hearts toward Christ and is vital to growing in faith. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 tells us to “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” While our desire is to remain faithful in prayer, our sinful nature is to become distracted by our to-do lists or the current demands of life.
In the “Prayer for Beginners” article linked below, Pastor and author John Piper says:
“Prayer might be, at the same time, the most pivotal and most puzzling activity in the Christian life. It is the lifeline and life-mystery for believers. We know we need to pray, but we know we don’t pray enough. And we’re not always sure we’re even doing it right when we do pray. Should I even be asking God for this? Should I still be asking God for this? Do I even know what I need?”
In an effort to encourage one another to make purposeful progress in prayer, we have gathered some articles and practical tools. These resources should be helpful whether you are just learning how to pray or striving to grow deeper in your prayer life.
- Prayer for Beginners, from DesiringGod.org
- Seven Simple Tips to Refresh Your Prayer Life, from DesiringGod.org
- A Simple Way to Pray Every Day (following the Lord’s Prayer), from DesiringGod.org
- How to Pray Every Day (Topic for Each Day of Week), from focusonthefamily.com
- ACTS Prayer Guide, PDF from teachthemdiligently.net
- Developing and Using a Prayer List, document from North Park Baptist Church on northparkonline.com